AI-Powered Consent Form Explainer
- GitHub Repository
- Created On
- Updated On
- The "AI-Powered Consent Form Explainer" is a tool designed to help patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals understand medical consent forms. It utilizes OpenAI's GPT-4 AI model to interpret and explain the contents of these forms in plain, easy-to-understand language; it removes personally identifiable information (PII) and protected health information (PHI) from the users' file and chat inputs before sending them to OpenAI's API. The application can handle queries in both English and Spanish, enhancing accessibility for a diverse user base.
- Patients and Caregivers: Simplify medical jargon in consent forms to aid comprehension for those without a medical background.
- Healthcare Professionals: Provide a quick reference to explain forms to patients or to clarify certain aspects of consent forms.
- Medical Educators: Use as a teaching tool for students to better understand the legal and ethical aspects of medical consent.
- Language Constraints: The tool currently supports explanations in English and Spanish, potentially limiting use by speakers of other languages.
- Complexity of Medical Information: While the app aims to simplify medical documents, it may not capture the nuance of extremely complex medical or legal language.
- Medical or Legal Advice: The app does not provide medical/legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical/legal consultation.
- Data Privacy: When the authors of the paper "Protected Health Information filter (Philter): accurately and securely de-identifying free-text clinical notes" evaluated the Philter library, it removed 99.4% of PHI in the clinical notes. While impressive, it is not perfect and can sometimes miss edge cases.
The efficacy of the application in explaining medical consent forms relies on the advanced capabilities of the GPT-4 model, which has been trained on a diverse range of texts for comprehensive understanding and generation of human-like text. User feedback and iterative improvements are crucial for enhancing the application's performance.
- Privacy and Security: A paramount feature is the commitment to user privacy, using the Philter library to deidentify personal information (PHI and PII) within the uploaded documents.
- Empathy in AI: Recognizing the sensitive nature of medical documents, the app is programmed to respond empathetically, thereby fostering trust.
- User Empowerment: By demystifying medical consent forms, the app empowers users to make informed decisions regarding their healthcare.