Finance Friend for Cancer Patients
- GitHub Repository
- Created On
- Updated On
- Finance Friend for Cancer Patients is a compassionate and innovative chatbot application designed to assist cancer patients with financial advice and guidance. This user-friendly app specializes in offering personalized financial strategies, focusing on the unique challenges faced by those navigating the financial complexities of cancer treatment and care. It can help patients with healthcare expenses, insurance options, and navigating financial aid. It uses the Philter library to remove protected health information (PHI) from the patient's chat inputs before sending them to OpenAI for natural language processing.
- Personalized Financial Guidance: The app provides cancer patients and caregivers with personalized financial strategies tailored to their unique circumstances.
- Expense Navigation: It assists users in understanding and managing healthcare expenses and insurance options.
- Debt Management: Offers actionable advice for managing medical debt incurred from cancer treatment.
- General Guidance Only: The app is not a substitute for professional financial or medical advice. It does not replace the need for a financial advisor or healthcare provider.
- Scope of Advice: The financial strategies offered are limited to the information provided by users and may not cover all possible financial aids or assistance programs.
- Data Privacy: Although the OpenAI API used only retains the user inputs/outputs for 30 days to monitor for abuse, you should not enter any sensitive or identifiable information in the app. We're currently working on strengthening data privacy measures.
As of now, data supporting the app’s effectiveness has not been collected. Future updates will include feedback from initial users and healthcare professionals, as well as measures of its usefulness and impact (e.g., money saved for patients, treatment compliance).
I'm Venkata Chengalvala, the primary developer of this app. As an AI consultant for Health Universe, I port high-quality peer-reviewed AI models helpful to clinicians, patients, and/or researchers to Health Universe's platform. I have a Bachelor of Science in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB) and Computer Science from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. During my education, I engaged in medical research, co-authoring a literature review on tumor-derived exosomes, cited by 30+ people so far: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211383521001398.
I created this app to combat cancer-related financial toxicity (e.g., very expensive medical bills, lost income due to treatment side effects). Research showed that financial toxicity can reduce quality of life and treatment compliance (e.g., patients skipping doctor visits due to costs) and that many patients are more worried about the financial burden than the cancer itself.
Your insights and feedback on this app are greatly appreciated. If you have any thoughts or feedback on this app, feel free to leave a comment below.